Monday, September 22, 2008

Organization?

I believe that organization will be a forever quest in my life.

Ernesto, my dear husband. He has a natural ability to look at a mess and see it the way it could look - organized. I believe it is a gift, I believe you are born with this gift. So, what do the rest of us do that are always trying to learn this skill?

I have tried for many years to follow Ernesto's ideas of what will make us organized, and have recently decided that this is not what works for me. I have to develop my own ways of organization. So, here I sit, trying to figure out how to do this. I am still in the early stages of realizing the principles of organization. Here are some things I have learned:

  • Everything should have a place.
  • It is best to put things back (where they go) right after you use them.
  • Declutter
  • Set aside a time for everything. ie. cleaning, playing, relaxing.
  • Try to make things as simple as possible.

How is that for basic? Wow, those are very common sense items, but honestly I DIDN'T GET IT. (This is where I apologize to all my prior roommates.)

Currently, I am following these principles and running around in circles. My house is clean (YEA) most of the time, but I have to figure out how to spend less time cleaning and more time doing what I want. Therefore, my first effort in organization of chores and life is a HUGE calendar.

I bought a "Mark-R-Board" panel at Lowes and drew a bunch of lines to make my calendar. I wanted a board that would give me 3 months at a glance. I really wanted it to be magnetic, but I did not want to spend a bunch of money to buy one that was already made or the paints, and I couldn't find one that would give me 3 months at a time. So, I settled for just dry-erase.

Ernesto will be hanging it tonight. I can't tell you how excited I am! Each family member will have a color, and there will be a neutral color for family or general activities. I will be listing chores there and the whole family schedule.

I anticipate this being just the thing I need to make things run more smoothly. I'll have to keep you updated. As I see how this runs for me, I will be adding more organizational tools to make my life a little easier, but I am focusing on one thing at a time. Next comes paper organization. ie bills and filing. (UGH, the bane of my existence.)

2 comments:

Todd and Lisa said...

Wow, you're ambitious! Let me know how it works! As things get busier here, I'm finding my current system isn't holding up as well. Good luck!

Jenn said...

Ok I have so much to say. I too was not blessed with the organization gene. Your list of things you have learned is not to basic. I still need to master many things you listed. As for a clean house I have found a trick that works for me. When I see a mess I uses to just get overwhelmed and wouldn't get to it as soon as I should have. Now I look at things different and it is helping me. When I see the mess I tell myself, "that is a 2 min. mess." When my messes get up to about 10 min. I try to take that 10 min. and clean it. Dumb I know. Finallly I just wanted to say I can't wait to hear how to organize the paper:)