Sunday, March 22, 2009

Little kitchen

About 4 years ago I took a class about developmentally appropriate preschool curriculums. It was such a fun class. We looked at different cultural practices in countries around the world, the history of childhood education, about 5 different formal approaches to developmentally appropriate practice. I just loved, loved that class. Along with that class, came a list of things I wanted for my own kids and, one day, my own preschool program.


For the last year or so I have been looking for a little kitchen to check off of my list for my kids. But, I have had a few requirements. It has to be a wooden kitchen with a sink, moving knobs, a stove and an oven. I also wanted some little hooks to hang pots. And, as the family mantra goes, "never buy anything at full price".

So, last week as I was out looking for some bargain pants, I found a bargain kitchen (I did not find pants). I think I would have preferred a more natural color, but this kitchen fit all of the other requirements, and I have to say I'm excited about it.
Now for the food and pans.

I hade a couple of food items that I had found on sale from Melissa and Doug but... I was turned onto some felt food while reading a friend's blog. So, I started with her blog and found this fun website that sells patterns. I looked up her free patterns and tried them out.

It is an ice cream sandwich and strawberries. (If you couldn't tell) Antony likes them and so do I. I have been worried about the plastic foods and I think felt is a good solution, it is easy for the kids to work with and we don't have to worry about chemicals.

The free patterns didn't have the best directions and I'm hoping that I will find better instructions if I buy a pattern. Overall, I think she is creative and the food looks great. It didn't take me long to make the food and it was easier to make than I thought it would be. So, my quest for pants took me in a very different direction, but a fun one.

1 comment:

Eden said...

I love the kitchen. I like the requirements you had for it too. I'm excited for your kiddies to enjoy it.